Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 163,469 pages of information and 245,911 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

1908 Stock Exchange Year-Book: Miscellaneous Companies: E

From Graces Guide

Note: This is a sub-section of the 1908 Stock Exchange Year-Book

- A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

Pdf50.jpg Full Entries PDF

Abbreviated entries (including processing errors)

  • E. Baily and Son. Limited.—Directors: A. R. Baily {Chairman and Joint Managing Director), E. W. Baily (Joint Managing Director), and G. E. Blood. Secretary: B. J. Mitchell. Office: Station Maltings, Frome.—The company was registered October 20, 1898, to take over the business of maltsters and corn merchants of the firm of the same name.
  • E. C. Powder Co. Limited.—Directors: G. Plater (Chairman), W. D. Borland (Managing Director), W. A. Bradford, E. M. Bristowe, and J. Watts. Secretary: R. M. Norton. Office: 20, Bucklersbury, E.C.—The company was registered February 16, 1883, to acquire from the Explosives Co. Limited, the patents for the United Kingdom, India, &c., for the manufacture of a new gunpowder for military and sporting purposes.
  • E. Edwards and Co.. Limited.—Directors: E. Pickard (Chairman), O. Dunkel, W. Dunmore, M. Franz, E. Watmough, and Sir E. Wood, Kt. Secretary: A. E. Wright. Office: 17, Bowling Green Street, Leicester.—The company was registered June 2, 1897, to take over certain businesses of manufacturing and wholesale confectioners.
  • E. Gabarrot and Co.. Limited.—Directors: J. C. Williamson (Chairman), H. Baselow (Managing Director), and W. Sanderson. Secretary: G. S. Pitt. Office: 140, Leadenhall Street, E.C.—The company was registered December 27, 1900, in reconstruction of a company of a similar title registered April 21, 1897, to acquire a business of tobacco planters, cigar manufacturers, &c.
  • E. Lazenby and Son. Limited.—Life Directors: W. Lazenby (Chairman), C. Lazenby, and F. Lazenby. Office: 18, Trinity Street, S.E.—The company was registered January 29, 1895, to acquire the business of fish sauce and preserved provision manufacturers of the firm of the same name.
  • E. Rich and Co.. Limited.—Directors: E. T. Doxat (Chairman), Sir W. McMillan, Hon. H. Moses (Sydney), Hon. E. W. Parker, and E. Rich (Managing Director, Sydney). Secretary: T. Duncan. Office: 96, Bishopsgate Street Within, E.C.—The company was registered October 22, 1898, to take over the business of a private company of the same name, general merchants, &c., in the Australasian colonies and London, and other businesses have since been acquired.
  • E. Robinson and Sons. Limited.—Directors: T. Webb (Chairman), J. A. Potts, F. R. Robinson, and W. H. Robinson. Secretary: J. C. Lang. Office; 9,St. Petersgate, Stockport. —The company was registered December 17, 1900, to take over the business of tobacco and snuff manufacturers carried on by a company of the same name, registered April 20, 1898.
  • E. W. Tarry and Co. Limited. — Directors: A. Durant (Chairman and Managing Director), Earl of Chesterfield, Lord Knollys, C. H. McEuen, and J. Varley. Secretary: M. Logan. Office: 11, Ironmonger Lane, E.C.—The company was registered May 6, 1895, to acquire the business of E. W. Tarry and Co. Limited, suppliers of machinery and other mechanical requisites for miners and mining companies.
  • East African Pearl and Sponge Co. Limited.—Directors: Sir E. Edgcumbe (Chairman), J. Barrett-Lennard, G. Breittmayer, and Dr. A. Centeno. Secretary: T. Aspling. Office: 62, London Wall, E.C.—The company was registered October 27, 1905, and acquired a monopoly granted by the Companhia do Nyassa to fish for pearls, sponges, coral, and amber over a length of about 41 miles of the sea coast of the territories of the Companhia do Nyassa, situated in the northern portion of the Province of Mozambique, East Africa.
  • East India Distilleries and Sugar Factories. Limited,—Directors: E. S. Ormerod (Chairman), W. Morgan, Col. H. Pritchard, C.S.I., and W. S. Shaw. Secretary: J. E. Murray. Office: 70, Gracechurch Street, E.C.—The company was registered December 13, 1897, to acquire certain businesses and properties in the Madras Presidency.
  • Easterbrook, Allcard and Co. Limited. — Directors: A. A. Allcard, H. Allcard (Managing Director), H. Amison (Secretary), and W. G. Simpson. Office: Albert Works, Penistone Road, Sheffield.—The company was registered October 11, 1897, to take over the business of manufacturers of hand and machine tools, &c., of the firm of the same name.
  • Eastern and African Cold Storage Supply Co, Limited.— London Directors : H. E. Hogg (Chairman), W. A. Harper, and T. Stoker. London Secretary: W. M. Christie. Office: 13, St. Helen’s Place, E.C. Head Office: Adelaide, South Australia.—The company was registered February 12, 1903, under Acts of 1892 of South Australia, to carry on the business of cold storage and to acquire in the northernmost portion of South Australia Crown pastoral leases, for a tenure of 42 years from October 1, 1899, covering an area of about 20,000 square miles, with a view of raising’’cattle.
  • Eastham Ferry Pleasure Gardens and Hotel Co. Limited.—Directors : P. J. Feeny, H. Kidson, W. H. Mills, T. Montgomery, and W, Thomson. Secretaries: Ellis and Bragger. Office : 48, Castle Street, Liverpool.—The company was registered July 24, 1897, to acquire certain rights and properties.
  • Eastman Kodak Co.—Directors Resident in London: Lord Kelvin and Sir J. Pender, Bart. Office: Rochester, New York.—The company was incorporated in 1901 under the laws of the State of New Jersey, U.S., to acquire the business and shares of Kodak. Limited, and other companies carrying on a similar or kindred business. The company manufactures cameras and photographic sundries.
  • Eastman's. Limited.—Directors: J. J. Thomson (Chairman and Managing Director), A. J. Cartwright, A. Dunlop, R. Monro, and D. Roderick. Secretary: J. L. Bisset. Office: 91, Charterhouse Street, E.C.—The company was registered June 1, 1889, to acquire wholesale and export cattle and fresh meat businesses.
  • Eastwood and Co. Limited.—Directors: F. B. Eastwood (Chairman), F. G. Champernowne, O. L. Stephen, and C. Wigan. Secretary: J. F. Wyllie. Office: 47, Belvedere Road, Lambeth, S.E. — The company was registered August 6, 1902, to take over the business of brickmakers and builders’ merchants of a company of the same name, registered in 1872.
  • Ebenezer Roberts. Limited.—Directors: J. P. Easton (Chairman), A. Jones, and K. Smith (Secretary). Office: 270, Camberwell Road, S.E.—The company was registered July 5, 1899, to take over the wholesale confectionery business of Ebenezer Roberts and Sons. Limited, registered January 14, 1897.
  • Eckersleys. Limited.— Directors: C. S. Agnew, J. Brown, N. ff. Eckersley, and J. P. Reynolds. Secretary: R. Barlow. Office: Swan Meadow Road, Wigan.—The company was registered September 8, 1883, as Ffarington, Eckersley & Co.. Limited (the name being changed as above in 1901), to acquire a business of cotton spinners, bleachers and dyers, &c.
  • Edinburgh Evening News, Limited.—Directors: J. Wilson (Chairman), R. Wilson (Vice-Chairman), and J. McC. Wilson. Secretary: H. Wilson. Office: 18, Market Street, Edinburgh.—The company was registered July 5, 1900, to acquire the newspaper named in the title.
  • Edison and Swan United Electric Light Co. Limited.—Directors: H. Wolfenden (Chairman), E. B. Ellice-Clark, Sir J. W. Swan, Kt., and H. Wolfenden, Jun. Secretry: H. C. Cover. Office : 36-7, Queen Street, E.C.—The company was registered October 26, 1883, and manufactures electric lamps and fittings.
  • Edison-Bell Consolidated Phonograph Co. Limited.—Directors: Earl of Denbigh (Chairman), Sir W. H. Q. Jones, Dr. C. M. Owen, H. J. Page, W. A. Smith, and R. C. Wyatt. Secretary: F. Fox. Office: 39, Charing Cross Road. W.C.—The company was registered December 3, 1901, in reconstruction of a company of exactly similar title registered March 2, 1898, to acquire certain patents.
  • Edmond Johnson. Limited.—Directors: R. Booth, C. B. MacNaught, and F. Moore. Secretary: J. H. Whelan. Office: 94, Grafton Street, Dublin.—The company was registered December 11, 1896, to acquire a business of jewellers.
  • Edward and John Burke. Limited.—Directors: Sir J. G. Nutting, Bart. (Chairman and Managing Director), P. B. Bernard, Sir G. F. Brooke, Bart., J. S. Jones, C. H. King, Visc. Monck, and F. O. Pilkington, Secretary : E. A. Rice. Office : 16, Bachelor’s Walk, Dublin.—The company was registered July 9, 1890, to take over the export bottling business of the firm of the same name. In 1893, owing to the death of one of the vendors, it was decided to reconstruct the company, and re-registration took place on April 13, 1893, under the same title as before.
  • Edward Cook and Co.. Limited.—Directors : S. Hall, E. L. Cook, T. A. Cook, and S. G. Hall, the last three being Managing Directors. Secretary: E. Hughes. Office : East London Soap Works, Bow, E. Transfer Office : 5, London Wall Buildings, E.C. —The company was registered October 18, 1898, to take over the business of soap makers, &c., of the firm of the same name.
  • Edward Foster and Son. Limited.—Directors: W. H. Foster (Chairman and Managing Director), T. H. Foster, J. Frobisher, J. M. Jackson, and H. H. Stocks. Secretary: C. Waghorn. Office: Central Brass Works, Woolshops, Halifax.—The company was registered October 14, 1897, to take over the business of brassfounders of the firm of the same name.
  • Edward Packard and Co. Limited.—Directors: E. Packard and H. W. Packard (Managing Directors), G. H. Hughes, and Sir H. T. Wood, Kt. Secretary: C. H. Shipston. Offices: Duke Street, Ipswich.—The company was registered July 23, 1895, to acquire the business of a firm of the same name, agricultural chemists and artificial manure manufacturers.
  • Edward Wood and Co. Limited.—Directors: E. G. Wood (Chairman and Managing Director), A. Anderson, A, C. Hobson, and J. H. Humphryes. Secretary: J. W. H. Cooper. Office: Ocean Iron Works, Ordsail Lane, Salford.—The company was registered March 8, 1906, to acquire the business of constructional engineers and contractors of a company of almost similar title, registered July 30, 1897.
  • Edwards Air Pump Syndicate. Limited.—Directors: C. W. Milne (Chairman), G. McFarlane, and L. S. Robertson. Secretary: W. S. Gregg. Office: 3, Crown Court, Old Broad Street, E.C.—The company was roistered September 29, 1897.
  • Edwin Fletcher and Co. Limited.—Directors: E. Fletcher (Chairman and Managing Director), H. D. Jackson, and J. Kelsey. Secretary: C. P. Batsford. Office: 82, High Street, Birmingham.—The company was registered October 21, 1896, to take over the business of draper, &c., of Mr. Edwin Fletcher.
  • Edwin Showell and Sons. Limited.—Directors: C. Showell (Chairman), E. A. Showell, C. P. Showell, and E. E. Showell. Secretary: A. W. Showell. Office: Stirchley, Birmingham.—The company was registered November 12, 1902, to acquire the business of manufacturers of general brassfoundry and art metal work of the firm of the same name.
  • Edwin Walker and Co. Limited.—Directors: E. Walker (Chairman), A. E. Nield, and H. Pontefract. Secretary: J. A. Liversedge. Office: Field Mills, Huddersfield.— The company was registered December 1, 1897, to take over the business of worsted and woollen cloth manufacturers of a private company of the same name, registered December 22, 1891.
  • Edwin Woodhouse and Co. Limited.—Directors: O. Parkin, G. Talbot, and E. Woodhouse (Managing Director). Secretary : A. Leather. Office: Sunnybank, Farsley, Leeds.—The company was registered March 24,’ 1898, to acquire the business of worsted and woollen cloth manufacturers of the firm of the same name.
  • Egyptian Markets. Limited.—London Directors: F. E. Robertson, C.I.E. (Chairman), Sir G. FitzGerald, K.C.M.G. (Vice-Chairman), Maj. W. I. le Breton, and A. F. Joseph. Secretary: F. J. Horne. Office: 211-14, Gresham House, E.C.—The company was registered November 16, 1898, to acquire a thirty (in 1904 extended to forty) years’ concession granted by the Egyptian government for the construction and management of official markets in 120 centres in Upper and Lower Egypt. The concession constitutes a practical monopoly within the localities specified, and on June 13, 1938, all the properties are to revert to the government
  • Egyptian Oil Trust. Limited.—Directors: W. Blyth (Chairman), A. Pauli, and E. H. Platt. Secretary: T. Carter. Office: 26, Victoria Street, S.W.—The company was registered June 14, 1907, and has acquired concessions at Jemsah, on the Red Sea, for the purpose of sinking wells to prospect for oil.
  • Egyptian Salt and Soda Co, Limited.—Directors: Dr. H. Milton (Chairman), E. Benachi, E. Debourg (Managing), R. Henriques, Baron J. de Menasce, D. Rees, Sir J. Rogers, K.C.M.G., D.S.O., G. Royle, M. Salvage, L. Stagni, and M. Zervudachi. Secretary: R. H. Du Boulay. Office: 120, Fenchurch Street, E.C.—The company was registered October 27, 1899, to take over certain concessions from the Egyptian government for the manufacture and sale of salt in Egypt; to acquire the undertaking of - the Natural Soda Company of Egypt; and to erect plant (completed in 1902) for the refinement of oil and the manufacture of soap. As from January 1, 1906, the government terminated the salt monopoly, but has granted the company the sole right to work the government salines during a period of 20 years from that date. In 1905 the undertaking of the Huileries et Savonneries d’Egypte was acquired.
  • Ekenberg Milk Products Co. Limited.—Directors: Sir W. Taylor, K.C.B. (Chairman), E. Bowron, Dr. M. Ekcnberg, L. A. Goldie, and A. C. Mitchell. Secretary: G. R. Prytz. Office: 37, Queen Victoria Street, E.C.—The company was registered May 25, 1906, to acquire the factories and properties of a Swedish company working certain processes invented by Dr. Martin Ekenberg, relating to the preparation of dry milk.
  • Elastes Co. Limited.—Directors: Lt. A. T. Dawson, O. Hecht (Paris), H. V. C. Ker-Seymer, Maj. F. L. Lloyd, J. F. Ochs, and J. D. Siddeley. Secretary: A. E. F. Court. Office: 79-80, York Street, Westminster, S.W.—The company was registered October 4, 1906, to acquire patent rights for the manufacture of “elastes, a material which is a substitute for rubber, and particularly, is used to provide a resilient and non- puncturable filling for the tyres for automobiles and other vehicles.”
  • Elders and Fyffes. Limited.—Directors: Sir A. L. Jones, K.C.M.G. (Chairman), A. R. Ackerley, R. Atcherley, E. C. Barker, A. H. Stockley, H. Wolfson, M, Hart, J. A. Jones, M, C. Keith, B. W. Palmer, and A. W. Preston (the last five being of Boston, U.S.A.). The company was registered May 9, 1901, to acquire the fruit and vegetable businesses carried on by Messrs. Elder, Dempster and Co. and Fyffe, Hudson and Co. Limited, in various places.
  • Electric and Ordnance Accessories Co. Limited.—Directors: Hon. S. P. Bouverie, G. J, B. Chetwynd, A. T. Dawson, A. Vickers, and D. Vickers. Secretary: M. Brown. Office: Stellite Works, Cheston Road, Aston, Birmingham.—The company was registered August 29, 1901.
  • Electric Construction Co. Limited.—Directors : W. S. B. McLaren (Chairman), P. E. Beachcroft, Sir J. I. Courtenay, Kt., J. Gray (Managing), Sir H. C. Mance, C.I.E., and Sir J. Pender, Bart. Manager (at Bushbury): W. Bulloch. Secretary: D. Willock. Offi.cc : Dashwood House, E.C.—The Electric Construction Corporation. Limited, was registered May 29, 1889, for the purpose of supplying all kinds of electrical machinery for lighting, traction, and other purposes. In 1893 reconstruction was decided upon, and a new company was registered under the above title on July 20,1893.
  • Electric Landaulet Co. Limited.—Directors: A. K. Baylor, R, J. Beadon, Earl de Grey, and Hon. F. W. Stanley. Secretary: R. G. Sidford. Office: Upper Manor Street, King’s Road, S. W.—The company was registered February 24, 1902.
  • Electric Lighting and Traction Company of Australia. Limited. — Directors : J. B. Braithwaite (Chairman), J. F. Albright, and R. P. Sellon (Managing Director). Engineer and Manager: F. W. Clements. Secretary: W. E. Lane. Office: Finsbury Pavement House, E.C.—The company was registered August 17, 1899, to carry on the business of the supply of electricity for lighting, traction, and other purposes.
  • Electric Supply Company of Victoria. Limited.—Directors: E. K. Muspratt (Chairman), J. S. H. Banner, M.P., F. F. Begg, J. C. Stitt, G. C. Taylor, and J. Taylor. Secretary: G. Sales. Office: 12, St. John’s Lane, Liverpool.—The company was registered May 26, 1900, and is the owner of electric lighting, power, and tramway concessions in the cities of Ballarat and Bendigo, in the state of Victoria. As regards Ballarat the company took over the undertaking of the Ballarat Electric Supply Company and the Ballarat Tramway Co. Limited, and has the right to supply electric energy for all purposes, within certain districts, for a period of thirty years from February 19, 1901, and also has the right to run tramways for a period of thirty years from certain dates in 1902, 1903, and 1905. As regards Bendigo the company took over the undertaking of the Bendigo Electric Lighting Co. Limited, and the Bendigo Tramways Company, and has the right to supply electric energy for all purposes in certain districts for a period of thirty years from February 19, 1901, and has the right to run tramways for a period of thirty years from December 1,1899. The only compulsory powers vested in the municipal authorities of both districts are, so long as the company performs its statutory obligations, of purchasing at the expiration of the terms of thirty years, for which the several concessions have been granted, such part of the company’s undertaking as shall be within their several districts, at the then value of the undertaking (exclusive of goodwill), such value to be fixed, if necessary, by arbitration.
  • Electric Welding Co. Limited.—Directors: M. F. Armstrong, L. Bishop, and F. W. Hull. Secretary: E. Hayes. Office: 28, Basinghall Street, E.C.—The company was registered May 1, 1890, to acquire the British patents of Professor Elihu Thomson’s inventions for the electric welding and working of metals.
  • Electrical Bleaching Co (1904). Limited. — Directors: F. H. Allen, A. Baird, G. St. J. Day, W. H. Marriott, C. Martin, and G. Worthington. Secretary: H. Wood. Office: 196, Deansgate, Manchester. — The company was registered July 20, 1904, to acquire certain patents for improvements in the electrical bleaching of cotton cloth and yarn, and other textile materials known as the Vogelsang patents, for the whole of the United Kingdom, subject to an exclusive licence granted for bleaching hosiery fabrics, including cotton bags for frozen meat, and to another exclusive licence agreed to be granted over an area limited to a radius of 25 miles from Nottingham for bleaching lace and lace curtains.
  • Electrical Development Company of Ontario. Limited.—Office: Toronto, Canada.— The company was incorporated under Ontario (Canada) Companies Act on February 18, 1903, and by its charter was granted the right to generate 12o,000 electrical horse-power from the waters of the Upper Niagara River. It has the right to dispose of power either in Canada or the United States, but 50 per cent, must be sold in Canada provided there is a demand for it. The company owns a freehold estate of 650 acres at Niagara, also a private right of way from Niagara to Toronto, about 85 miles, and to Brandford, Ontario, about 46 miles.
  • Electro-Peat-Coal Co. Limited.—Directors: Earl of Mayo (Chairman), Sir L. Falkiner, Bart., J. MacGregor, Col. T. A. St. Quintin, and R. Walker. Secretary: L. Downes. Office: 11, Ironmonger Lane, E.C.—The company was registered April 20, 1904, to acquire the British patents for the manufacture of electro-peat-coal, &c.
  • Electrolytic Alkali Co, Limited.— Directors; C. C. Connor (Chairman), T. Jenkinson, Col. W. L. Pilkington, and B. Richardson. Secretary: J. Barron, Office: Middlewich, Cheshire.—The company was registered November 30, 1899, to acquire from the General Electrolytic Parent Co. Limited, certain patents for the United Kingdom for the manufacture by electrolysis of alkali, chlorine, bleaching powder, and other products.
  • Electrolytic Plating Apparatus Co. Limited.—Directors: T. A. Smith (Chairman and Managing Director), W. D. Cozens, and S. Smith. Secretary: J. W. Newby. Orifice: Charles Street, Walsall.—The company was registered November 16, 1896, to acquire certain patent rights for the United Kingdom and other countries for the electrolytic deposition of nickel, brass, &c.
  • Electromobile Co. Limited. — Directors : E. Schenk (Chairman), T. G. Chambers (Managing Director), A. Greenwood, C. L. Samson, T. H. Weguelin, and Lord Westbury. Secretary: G. Cockerton. Office: 7, Hertford Street, Mayfair, W. —The company was registered October 17, 1902, to acquire the undertaking of the British Electromobile Co. Limited.
  • Electromotors. Limited.—Directors: W. H. Johnson, A. McDougall, J. H. Stubbs, and W. T. Stubbs. Manager: B. Longbottom. Secretary: T. M. Gribbin. Office: Openshaw, Manchester.—The company was registered February 24, 1899.
  • Eley Brothers. Limited.—Directors: T. R. Bayliss (Chairman), G. G. Eley, K. L. C. Brescott, S. F. Prest, and H. V. Thrupp. Secretary: R. Linday. Offices: 254, Gray’s Inn Road, W.C.—The company was registered February 26, 1874, to take over the cartridge manufacturing business of the firm of this name.
  • Elkington and Co. Limited.—Directors: H. F. Elkington (Chairman), H. G. Elkington, G. E. Elkington, G. M. Elkington, W. L. Mathews, J. Clayton, A. H. Gibson, and F. de Escofet. Secretary: T. B. Read. Office: 128, Newhall Street, Birmingham.—The company was registered April, 25, 1907, and is a reconstruction of a company of similar title registered May 18, 1887, to take over the business of the firm of the same name as goldsmiths, jewellers, silversmiths, &c.
  • Elliott's Metal Co. Limited,—Directors: W. Chamberlain (Chairman), A. N. Chamberlain, J. Arcl^ibald Kenrick, J. Arthur Kenrick, and F. Rayner. Secretary: E. E. Dendy. Office: Selly Oak Works, near Birmingham.—The company was registered December 11, 1874.
  • Elliott's Stores. Limited.—Director's: J. Farncombe (Chairman), A. W. H. Bruford, H. Elliott (Managing Director), H. Elliott, Jun., and H. W. Keay. Secretary: W. Elliott. Office: South Houses, Eastbourne.—The company was registered July 18, 1902.
  • Ellis and Everard. Limited.—Directors: H. Ellis (Chairman), B. Ellis, J. S. Ellis, T. B. Ellis (Secretary), and C. M. Everard. Office : 10, East Street, Leicester.—The company was registered June 20, 1890, to acquire a business of coal and coke merchants, &c.
  • Elmslie. Limited.—Directors: C. T. Elmslie, A. G. Elmslie, C. P. S. Munce, P. G, Spence, and T. H. Waldie. Secretary: J. E. Blake. London Office: 2, Broad Street Place, E.C. Head Office: Brisbane.—The company was registered under Queensland laws on July 19, 1904. Very few of the shares, however, were allotted until 1907, when the business of mining agents, engineers, &c., of a company of the same name, registered under British laws, was absorbed,
  • Elworthy Brothers and Co. Limited.—Directors : J. Cutler (Chairman), H. Elworthy, S. Hewett, R. S. Sadler, and T. N. Sully. Secretary: E. C. Evans. Office: Westford Mills, Wellington, Somerset.—The company was registered March 27, 1866, to acquire the business of Messrs. W. and H. Elworthy, serge manufacturers and yarn spinners.
  • Emmotts and Wallshaw. Limited.—Directors: J. Duncuft (Chairman), G. H. Emmofet (Deputy-Chairman), A. Emmott, J. Hanson, and H. M. Radcliffe. Secretary: R. Wood. Office: Vale Mills, Oldham.—The company was registered June 16, 1899, to acquire the business of spinners, &c., of Thomas Emmott and Sons. Limited, and the Wallshaw Mills Co. Limited.
  • Empire Palace of Varieties, Middlesbrough. Limited.—Directors: J. L. Graydon (Chairman), J. Brill (Managing Director), A. Mattison, and D. Munro. Secretary: G. A. Kahl. Office: 164, Drury Lane, W.C.—The company was registered November 26, 1897.
  • Empress Theatre of Varieties. Limited.—Directors: E. Johnson (Chairman), W. Gibbons, W. J. Grimes, G. A. Payne, and E. F. Smith. Manager and Secretary : N. Francis. Office: Brighton Terrace, Brixton, S.W.—The company was registered October 5, 1899.
  • Enfield Autocar Co. Limited.—Directors: A. Eadie (Chairman), G. H. Cartland, T. Evans, E. H. Lancaster, Lord E. J. Seymour, and R. W. Smith. Secretary: H. B. Fenwick. Office: Hunt End, Redditch.—The company was registered March 1, 1906, to take over that portion of the business of the Enfield Cycle Co. Limited, relating to the manufacture of motor cars.
  • Enfield Cycle Co. Limited.— Directors: Lord E. J. Seymour (Chairman), G. H. Cartland, A. Eadie (Managing Director), T. Evans, and R. W. Smith. Secretary: J. W. Davis. Office: Enfield Works, Redditch.—The company was registered July 1, 1896, as the New Enfield Cycle Co. Limited, to take over from the Eadie Manufacturing Co. Limited, certain works for cycle manufacture, and in 1898 the name was changed as above.
  • Engineering Instruments. Limited.—Directors : R. S. Bain (Chairman), C. W. Atkinson, E. Garside, F. W. Harmer, and R. J. Wallis-Jones. Secretary: W, K. Richmond. Office: 272B, Upper Street, N.—The company was registered June 29, 1900, as the Schattner Electricity Meter Co. Limited, to acquire certain patents for inventions relating to electricity meters, together with a business in connection therewith, and in 1904-5 the name was changed as above.
  • English Association of American Bond and Share Holders. Limited.—Trustees and Directors: A. W. Smithers (Chairman), T. P. Fowler, W. Lindley, T. Reynolds, and Lord Welby. Secretary: T. Lindley. Office: 5, Great Winchester Street, E.C.—The association was registered December 1,1884, for the purpose of representing and protecting the interests of holders of American securities in the United Kingdom; registration of shares, collection of dividends, and the encashment of coupons.
  • English Grains Co. Limited.—Directors: G. Taylor (Chairman), J. Darling, G. Lathbury (Managing Director), T. Morton, R. A. Murray, and C. W. Tindall. Secretary : A. Coxon. Office : 30, Union Street, Burton-on-Trent.—The company was registered February 29, 1892, to acquire from the Scottish Grains Co. Limited, the exclusive right of working in England, Wales, and the Isle of Man its processes for the preparing of wet grains and other by-products of breweries for food for cattle.
  • English McKenna Process Co. Limited.—Directors: Q. T. Mott (Chairman), W. Tozer (Managing Director), and G. F. West (Secretary). Office: York Mansion, Westminster, S.W.—The company was registered August 11, 1903, to acquire certain patents for the United Kingdom from an American Company, relating to renewing and re-rolling old steel rails.
  • English Sewing Cotton Co. Limited.—Directors; T. C. Waterhouse (Chairman), H. Morgan (Vice-Chairman), J. Bowker, C. R. Daniels, C. Diamond, H. Harrison, J. Palmer, and F. Roby. Secretary : C. B. Barlow. Office: Civic Buildings, Albert Square, Manchester. — The company was registered July 16, 1897, to take over fourteen businesses, and in 1898 acquired all the preference and ordinary shares of R. F. and J. Alexander and Co. Limited, as well as a controlling interest in the American Thread Company.
  • English Velvet and Cord Dyers Association. Limited.—Directors: H. Worrall (Chairman and a Managing Director), H. Heywood (Vice-Chairman), S. Ashton, S. Brooks (a Managing Director), J. Clare, B. H. Crabtree (a Managing Director), A. L. Dickins, S. Driver, E. Dyson, T. Kenyon (a Managing Director), K. N. Michaelis, W. Ormerod, J. Wharton, and C. F. Worrall (a Managing Director). Secretary; C. C. Thorpe. Office : 30, Princess Street, Manchester.—The company was registered April 7,1899.
  • Ernest Scott and Mountain. Limited. —Directors : T. E. Forster (Chairman), O, W. Ellis, G. E. Henderson, J. E. Hodgkin, W. C. Mountain (Managing Director), E. Scott, and W. R. Stobart. Secretary: R. M. Petrie. Office: Close Works, Gateshead-on-Tyne.—The company was registered November 15, 1890, to take over the electrical and engineering business of Messrs. Ernest Scott and Co.
  • Espartillar Estancia Co. Limited.—Directors: J. St. F. Fair (Chairman and Managing Director), C. Darbyshire, Capt. A. E. B. Fair, J. A. A, Wallace, and W. Wilson. Acting Secretary: O. W. Downing. Office: River Plate House, South Place, E.C.—The company was registered November 11, 1886, to acquire a property situated in the province of Buenos Ayres.
  • Esperanza Nitrate Co. Limited.—Directors: W. R. Henderson (Chairman), C. E. Brooking, A. G. Ker, E. P. Parsons, and V. H. Smith. Secretary: F. W. Bishop. Office: Dashwood House, E.C.—The company was registered August 11, 1899, to take over the property of the New Julia Nitrate Co. Limited, registered May 27, 1896.
  • Espuela Land and Cattle Co. Limited.— Directors; Sir T. Burnett, Bart., W. K. Falconer, J. Gill, J. Johnston, A. McNab, W. McNab, A. B. Nicolson, J. Spalding, and G. J. Walker. Secretary: W. McEwen. Office: 16, St. Helen’s Place, E.C.—The company was registered December 11, 1884, to acquire the property of the Espuela Land and Cattle Company, of Fort Worth, Texas.
  • Etablisaements Grafton (Francais). Limited.—Directors: R. P. Hewit, C. J. Higginbotham, L. B. Lee, C. H. Nevill, and W. Whittaker. Secretary: H. Elton. Office; 56, Mosley Street, Manchester.—The company was registered March 14, 1902, as Manufacture d’Impressions de Malaunay. Limited, to acquire a business of calico printers, carried on in France, and in 1905 the name was changed as above.
  • Ethiopian General Trading Co. Limited.— Directors: Col. W. D. Burrard, R. Clayton, W. R. McClure, S. Rihan, and Lord Teynham. Secretary: T. W. Gilbert. Office: Worcester House, Walbrook, E.C.—The company was registered August 27, 1906, as the Ethiopian Rainproof Monopoly Co. Limited, to acquire a concession for 25 years conferring the sole right to import and sell in Abyssinia all kinds of waterproof cotton goods and other rainproof material, together with an established business of Ethiopian merchants, and in 1907 the name was changed as above.
  • Eugene Rimmel. Limited.—Directors : G. Delattre, C. Frontier, E. A. Giot, J. Petit, A. Ronveau, C. Taillefer, and E. Taillefer. Secretary: A. Herbelet. Office: 76, Strand, W.C.—The company was registered December 17, 1889, to take over the business of the firm of the same name, manufacturers of perfumery.
  • European Petroleum Co. Limited.—Directors: H. P. Pease, M.P. (Chairman), J. S. Barwick, Lt.-Col. English, H. Fowler, J. H. Fox, C. Lock, and W. R. von Ofenheim. Secretary: J. Clark. Office: Dixon House, Lloyd’s Avenue, Fenchurch Street, E.C.—The company was registered May 15, 1900, in reconstruction of a company of similar title registered May 14, 1896. The company owns freehold and leasehold petroleum-bearing properties in Europe covering a total area of 5,031 acres, a storage at Batoum, a fleet of tank steamers, and refining works at Thames Haven.
  • Evans and Allen. Limited.—Directors: Col. C. T. Wallis (Chairman), W. Allen, and W. Evans. Manager and Secretary: W. J. Redshaw. Office: London House, Newport, Mon.—The company was registered May 8, 1895, to acquire the business of drapers, silk mercers, &c., of the firm of the same name, of Newport, Mon.
  • Evans and Owen. Limited.—Directors: W. Tonkin (Chairman), H. Marden, and A. J. Sims. Secretary: E. N. Tribe. Office: 8, Alfred Street, Bath.—The company was registered August 28, 1889, to take over the business of the firm of the same name, drapers and general warehousemen.
  • Evans, Sons, Lescher and Webb. Limited.— Senior Directors: J. J. Evans (Chairman), A. B. Evans, Sir E. Evans, Kt., W. P. Evans, F. H. Lescher, and E. A. Webb. Junior Directors: J. H. E. Evans, J. N. Evans, K. W. E. Evans, T. E. Lescher, and H. E. Webb. J. Shacklady. Office: 56, Hanover Street, Liverpool.—The company was registered October 17, 1902, to acquire certain businesses of wholesale and export druggists, &c.
  • Evered and Co. Limited.—Directors: W. G. Kent (Chairman), G. J. Evered and R. G. Evered (Joint Managing Directors), J. D. Davenport, S. Evered, and F. A. Wallroth. Secretary: D. Bartlett. Office: 28-29, Drury Lane, W.C.—The company was registered August 14,1884, to take over the business of Richard Evered and Co. Limited, brass and iron founders, registered July 1, 1874.
  • Express Dairy Co. Limited.—Directors: G. T. Barham (Manaaing Director), Sir G. Barham, Kt., R. F. Rainey, Prof. W. R. Smith, M.D. (Sanitary Director), and Sir H. T. Wood. Secretary: R. H. Hewson. Office: 26-30, Tavistock Place, W.C.—The company was established in 1864.
  • Extract Wool and Merino Co. Limited.—Directors: G. Hirst (Chairman), J. Fitton (Vice-Chairman), E. Fitton, J. J. Hirst, A. Jessop, and G. Townend. Secretary: J. D. Forsyth. Office: Marketplace, Dewsbury.—The company was registered July 16, 1900, to take over the businesses of several firms engaged in extracting wool and merino from rags.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information